Chichester Cottage, a small building situated in the original grounds of Mill House, was built by Doug and Audrey Mill around 1927. After their marriage and an extended trip abroad, they returned to New Zealand and lived in this one bedroom, lounge, kitchen and bathroom cottage while they planned and built their new residence next door. Later the cottage was used to develop photographs when the Mills developed a pioneering aerial photography business. It takes its name from Francis Chichester, who stayed in it when he was involved in New Zealand aviation in the early 1930s. He later became Sir Francis Chichester of yachting fame.
With the development of the Hobsonville Airbase as a residential community, many recognized the cottage as an important piece of local history which should be preserved and valued. Hobsonville Land Company offered to gift it in a restored state to HPRS to be used by the society and as a community facility. The HPRS committee consulted with its members and has accepted ownership of the cottage. The land around it will lie on the Hobsonville Point Walkway and will become the responsibility of Auckland Council. The HPRS committee is now negotiating with the council to take responsibility for the cottage.
Chichester Cottage should be ready for use in 2017 and will be available for hire as a small community facility, administered by the committee on a user-pays basis. It is envisaged that it will be used for small group meetings (e.g. bridge clubs, book clubs or hobby groups), a small musical soiree, small classes or demonstrations. It will be furnished and equipped for light refreshments.